05 January 2011

Finished Boys of Summer

I am overwhelmed with emotion after having completed "The Boys of Summer" this early morning, 3:11 a.m., the 5th of January, 2011. I, a life-long Dodgers fan, never knew how to qualify my emotions about my team until reading Mr. Kahn do just that with his.

This was a beautiful book about so much more than baseball - and that's just what being a fan is all about... there's something about one's love and devotion that extends further than just baseball.

I was in the womb in 1988 when Kirk Gibson and Orel Hershiser entered the canon of Podres, Robinson, and the Duke - I hope I will not have to wait 75 years to see my first World Series championship in L.A. But until then I have this gift, this wonderful book, to empathize with the fragility of baseball's seasonal crescendo.

So thank you, Mr. Kahn. The final chapter of the book may be the most amazing thing I've ever read. The book is certainly something that will affect me the rest of my life. It will always have a box seat in this aspiring writer's heart.

1 comment:

  1. You should not stay up so late.

    rm

    ReplyDelete