07 August 2010

Summer Reading

I consider myself a relatively healthy reader. My high school journalism teacher (and now good friend) challenged me to put my English Major money where my mouth was and read as much as she does. She's zoomed through fifteen books so far. I'm glad to say my summer reading list is at least half the size of hers.

Here's what I have:

Books Read This Summer:
Ball Four by Jim Bouton
Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina García
Moneyball by Michael Lewis
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut*
Squeeze Play by Jane Leahy
Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger

Currently Reading:
Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

On Deck:
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Secret Life of Cyndy Garvey by Cyndy Garvey and Andy Meisler
Hawaiian Blood by J. Kehaulani Kauanui
Here Come the Regulars by Ian Anderson

*Re-read

Ball Four and Squeeze Play were my favorite new reads. Cat's Cradle is my all-time favorite.

It's a challenge to keep up good reading habits. Our lives are so fast-paced with so little time left to ourselves. But that doesn't mean we're not always taking advantage of our free time. I try to keep a book on me at all times to get the most out of my day. I'm able to knock pages out on the exercise bike at the gym or when waiting for an appointment or simply as a passenger in a vehicle.

You have to keep a rhythm to your book order. This is not like a batting order where you put all your big boppers in the middle. I wouldn't read a book like Ulysses after finishing a Dostoevsky novel. That's just masochistic. I enjoy interspersing baseball novels and nonfiction, re-reads, and soft literature into my routine. Pygmy and Franny and Zooey are both dense, difficult reads in vastly different ways. Following them up with a straight-forward Vonnegut is like cleansing your palate after sampling an especially bitter (or sweet) wine.

I recommend all the books I've read so far - well, maybe except for Salinger, because he's so miserably mopey all the time.

---

Single's Night Update

I'll post some photos once I can. I'd would now but my camera was one of many casualties of the disaster that was the wretched Dodger Stadium single's night.

Here's a basic summary of my updates:

-Number of girls with sharpied eyebrows... 4 and counting.
-Hottest girl wearing a Cubs shirt.
-Everyone here is Mexican. Everyone.
-The Dodgers are a miserable, miserable team.
-Single's Night Realization - Dunn and Kershaw not compatable.
-Ashamed

We did sample the local nightlife at a wonderful little joint called The Short Stop, an excellent place to hang out before and after games. Plus, there's enough relatively safe parking nearby so you can make the ten minute walk to the stadium and save $15 on parking.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay too much attention to the game.

Fortunately, I didn't pay too much attention to the game.

I can tell you Dunn was a monster, Kemp wasn't, and Andre looks like he might be coming around again... just a little too late. I'll be going to the game tomorrow - probably the last one I'll go to this season. I'm completely over the Dodgers right now.

---

I'll be off to Kansas City for ADG convention. I'll have the great benefit of catching a game at the newly renovated Kauffman Stadium. I'm very excited and will (hopefully) be able to provide pics and a review of the beautifully redesigned ballpark. And the BBQ... oh the BBQ.

---

Finally, watch this:


No comments:

Post a Comment